I’ve worked as a stream ecologist for over 40 years and find that the science still fascinates me. I learn something about every stream or river that I work in. My professional goals primarily are about advancing the science of stream ecology, whether that’s as a contractor working on a restoration project or teaching aquatic insect taxonomy or ecology to students.
Prior to starting Penrose Environmental I worked with Watershed Science and prior to that in the NCSU Water Quality Group.
- Council of Scientific Society Presidents – 2016 Executive Board Chair
- Society for Freshwater Science – President 2012/13
- Special Master for Ecology – mountain-top mining litigation.
- Fulbright Scholarship – Kathmandu University, Nepal 2015
- University of North Carolina at Asheville – Adjunct position to teach Aquatic Insect Ecology
- Ecosystem Enhancement Program – Science Advisory Board.
- State of North Carolina – Order of the Long Leaf Pine.
- Society for Freshwater Science – Distinguished Service and Environmental Stewardship Awards
- Avid Reader and book collector
- Bird watching